You Mon Tsang August 29th, 2012
Want to be inspired by other people’s sand sculptures and sand castles? Better yet, want to give it a try yourself?
Every year on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, the National Park Service hosts at Drake Beach a Sand Sculpture Contest. It is really fun. If you want to give it a go, I would advise that you bring tools to (1) move sand, (2) move water and (3) finely tune sand.
Facts for 2012:
- Event occurs on Sunday, Sept 2, 2012.
- Anyone can enter.
- Prizes awarded in each of several age and group catagories.
- Free to participants and spectators.
- Registration begins at 9:00 am at the Ken Patrick Visitor Center.
- Judging begins at 12:00 pm.
- Prizes awarded at 3:30 pm.
Categories include: Children (14 and under), Families, Adult Individuals, and Adult Groups. Three prizes will be awarded in each of those categories, along with prizes for the sculpture with the most recycled plastic included.
Photos of past winners at the National Park Service web site: