Posted in NPS
Here are some highlights from the National Park Service Park Wavelengths newsletter:
- “Dismal” counts on live coho salmon and redds (nests) in West Marin creeks. Everyone, please do your rain dances.
- The first wildflowers are appearing early due to warm temperatures -pinkish white Milkmaids along Lucas Valley Road and around the visitor center. Daffodils in Point Reyes Station.
- Whale watching has been excellent this year; weekend counts of 8 to 9 per hour with a daily total of 39 reported on Sunday from the Lighthouse.
- The elephant seal colonies are full: pups being born, younger males wrestling at the Lifeboat Station (Chimney Rock).
- All park visitor centers will be open Monday, January 19, Martin Luther King Holiday and shuttle busses will be operating if the weather is clear.
- There’s a new photo exhibit at the Bear Valley Visitor Center this month, Nadine Heidacker, “Photos of Point Reyes”.